Thursday, August 26, 2010

Maguyverin' it til you make it.

Maguyver wasn't cheap, he was a genius.


If you're looking for tips on what gear to buy, let the FoolPrame help you save thousands of dollars.


I'm super long winded and I like the sound of keyboards tapping, so I'm gonna color the more important parts RED if you don't like the fixin's and just prefer the main course.


First off, my system- I shoot Nikon. It's no biggie, we can spend hours trying to bash canon, pentax, leica, and olympus blah blah blah.. but it won't get us anywhere... I shoot Nikon so I can save money. They've had the same mounts for the longest time and I can pick up lenses from the 80's and still use them with most of their bodies.  


I shoot with a Nikon D700 and my spare body is a d90. Both are somewhat the first of their classes. The d90 was the first dslr out in the market with video mode and the d700 was the first to factor in full frame goodiness with sports speed in a smaller, body.  They're great bodies, the d700 is weather sealed and the d90... well, i've submerged mine in saltwater (I thought the camera was too sweet so i dipped it in a tidepool...joking) and it still runs very well. You'd be good to go with any body nowadays, I've even considered shooting panasonic just because of the size- use what's comfortable for you. We can go on about megapixels, frames per second, and high iso, viewfinder size, full frame, mini four thirds, film, blah blah blah, but all those things go out the window if you really take the time to learn your equipment.

Essentials
Lenses... I don't have the budget to have all Nikkor Lenses- I wish I did, but I don't. Sometimes I rent, if it's something I'm gonna need. Before buying any lens I suggest renting it and seeing how you like it. Make sure you've enough time for the lens to arrive for your event.


Nikkor 50mm 1.8, I no longer have this lens but it deserves an honorable mention-- I got mine for 27$ at a garage sale. I suggest driving slower when driving around these-- you might find some sort of photographical gem. these tend to go for 80-120$ onliine or craigslist. After I got tired of it, I sold mine for $100 and bought a 50mm 1.4.  But there's not much difference really, they both get that creamy bokeh and can shoot very well in super low light. the advantage of 1.8? It goes all the way up to f22.
Photo using the Nikkor 50mm


Sigma 24-60mm 2.8. This lens, well this lens is the cheaper alternative to the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 N. It doesn't have N or the extra 10mm but it's fine, it's got that 2.8 and it zooms. what more could you want? Only 300$ as opposed to $1450 for the N-glass. Another advantage of this lens? It's cheap, and it comes with an aperture ring- shooting movies with the d90 gets easier if you use an aperture ring. Oh and this thing is fricken sharp even at 2.8. Only downside? The hood is too small, the huge front glass gets flared easily (again, learn how to use it and you can get those cool flarey photos you see on flickr so much)


Photo using the Sigma 24-60mm 2.8 


Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro- These are great for getting those detailed photos of wedding rings, spiders, and when you're bored enough the bottom of your shoes. All Joking aside, these go for about 300$ as well, have the same magnification ratio of the Nikkor 105mm VR-N. downside? Well... none really, don't be fooled by the Nikkor lens during macro the VR is pretty much useless during macros. It doesn't help when your body is swaying back and forth. Again, 2.8 and 105mm with 1:1 magnification.  Btw, I know I could've bought the 60mm 2.8 macro but I don't like getting too close when taking photos with this, I'm an idiot and I sometimes tend to get in the way of my own light when taking macro shots.

Photo using the Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro



Nikkor 80-200 2.8, push pull version. This lens is a monster. Pretty much used for tight photos and when I want to look like the terminator, just kidding.  I prefer this to the nikkor, sigma, and tamron 70-200. Why? because mine was only 500$ and it takes the same photos those other lenses can. Better Image quality than the sigma and tamron and doesn't vignette like the nikkor 70-200 vr1. It's a bit slower than the 70-200 hsm and af-s but for now, it does the job. very well.


Photo with Nikkor 80-200 2.8 Push Pull Model



Nikkor 16mm 2.8 Fish Eye- Fun little lens. I don't suggest buying the nikkor because it's soooo expensive. I got mine fairly cheap because it's been modified for time lapse (homeboy shaved off the aperture lever- what a genius) anywho, he sold it for 300$. these go for 800$ used. Use this for portaits for people with small noses. It'll bring their schnozz up to par.


Photo using the Nikkor 16mm Fisheye



Lensbaby Muse 2.0... This lens is a more difficult thing to use. But if you're prone to  getting brainblocked on shoots, I suggest busting this out and letting it kickstart your creative juice machine. There are more expensive tilt-shift lenses available but this goes for $100 and is VERY compact. 

Photo using the Lensbaby Muse



That's it for lenses... Now onto the other stuff.


Nikon Sb600, Sb900 and SC29. I like strobing when I get the chance, TTL if I've got time to play, and manual when the going is tough so I gotta get going. "But Fool Prame, you gotta worry about Line of sight!"... ahh.. that's what I use the SC-29 for, this allows me to shoot around obstacles with the sb900. I'm still trying to find a cost effective way to hire a popping wizard to trigger them. Gels, I was dumb enough to buy the nikon packets, don't. These are a great way to make uninteresting venues look interesting.




Powerex 2700mah, 7 En-El3e's ,and the 2 En-El4's. These go into the battery grips, I never have to switch, but another thing I learned from the legendary photographer is that "the more redundant you are, the safer". I get so redundant that I bring four chargers, two for the 3e's and one for the 4's and the last ones go for the powerex's. Use rechargeables for the flashes, these'll save you money in the long run and they last much longer with your flash than alkalines.


Straps- I make my own straps. It barely costs me a thing and it keeps my hands busy when I'm watching Dual Survival. While they don't look like much, I've hung from trees with these straps, not that I'm heavy but they'll hold up to 550lbs each chord.


the Fool Prame Survival Strap with Quick detach Buckle


Memory Cards- I use 4gb ones. Each one fits 261 or 130 depending on which body. Sometimes I shoot Jpeg and never need to change ever. CF cards have never failed on me, but I've had 4 SD card failures. Be wary of what brand you use. This can cost you a whole shoot if one fails you.


Gaffer tape. I have a roll, and there's some stuck on every lens i've got, use whenever needed.
Imagine how much easier Maguyver's life would've been if he always had tape. These shouldn't leave a residue, if you're smart enough to not leave it in your car when it's 108 degrees outside. 


Lenspen- Best way to dust your lens off without scratching it. I just fully learned how to use this last night, apparently you can adjust firmness...funny, I learn something new everyday. 


Giotto's Rocket blower. useful for getting that dust around your sensor, make sure you hold the camera in an awkward position, otherwise you'll just move the dirt around.


Baller ID bracelets- "WHAT THE F-STOP Fool Pramer?! What'll you use these for?!" I put this around my lenses aperture rings. It's a cheap way to semi-weatherproof your glass and mirror box. Another 1000$ saved. Does it really work? Remember when I wrote about dipping my D90 in a tidepool cause everyBody needs a little sodium? It kept most of the water out of the body. 


Flashlight- never know when you're gonna need to look in your bag with the lights turned out.


The bag itself: I use a number of bags from Domke, Tenba and US Army 3-Day packs. It's job specific to say the least, depending on what I have to bring.  I've got a tenba rolling backpack and the storage insert transfers over to my 3 day pack.



optional mumbo jumbo-

Tripod: So very rarely do I ever bring this with me. Personally, I hate them, but if you're gonna cover an event with the d700, grip, and the 80-200, you probably should bring one. 


Dell 1500 Vostro & Huey Pantone Monitor Calibrator. If i need to upload/edit on the go, I bring these with me. I know... I know... I don't use apple, but my Dell cost me 300$ and works just as well.  I use Lightroom 3 for Events. and CS5 for portraits or single photos. Keeps me entertained at starbucks as well. hehe.


Getting my work while gettin' my coffee on!

Visit my flickr collection here  to see more photos of gear and how I've used them in the past. 


Hopefully you got something useful from this entry. Look forward to more posts from your friendly neighborhood FoolPramer.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice picture, and your blog is fun to read and watch. I like it very much. Come take a look Teuvo images Bogi www.ttvehkalahti.blogspot.com and tell all your friends photos on your blog Teuvo dealings that you raise the flag of your country's higher on my blog. Have a wonderful autumn you Teuvo Vehkalahti Suomi Finland

    ReplyDelete