Tuesday, August 24, 2010

is Bird really the word?

late one wednesday,after spilling a bottle of sprite on my Pool Prame Camera (lesson here) I was able to converse with a Legendary photographer whose legendary photos were the images of legend. 

He held a book in his hand, filled with classical art. not photos, well photos of classical art, but you get the point. He explained how light and balance existed in each portrait that the classical painter.

Later on in the week, I was able to enjoy the movie "Eat Pray Love" with that one lady with the teeth, you know the one with the eyes? Anywho, the movie was about finding her "word." Which brings me to the question, "what's my 'word?'" well first off, I should explain what the "word" is. It's a term (doesn't have to be just one word) that describes you, your life, or something philosophical like that. it's pretty much you in a sentence. As the movie rolled, I pondered about what my word is- not too deeply cause I was trying to figure out what other movie her male lead was in.

Before I ramble. my word. as geeky, trendy, or stupid, as much as I don't want to seem like a fanboy or obsessed; is "photograph." 

With a mixture of what I learned from that movie and speaking with the legendary photographer I figured that this word best represents my life. Just like in any photograph, my life has its lights and darks, positive space and negative space. It's got a foreground, a background, things happening about within the frame, events that take place that you'll never know about outside the image, and a subject.  It's an image, sometimes it's ugly, sometimes it's got beauty-- an image with happy accidents and disastrous mishaps. Sometimes I look at it with a telephoto when I should be looking through a wide. I may shoot high while I'm missing the events that happen in the below. It's sometimes 9 frames per second, and others set at 1 frame a second.  It's under constant development while sometimes it's backlogged on Lightroom.  Sometimes I run out of space on the my life's CF card for everything and that leaves me missing moments... Someday the shutter will stop clicking and someone will see the images on the card and notice the accomplishments, the failures, the lessons, the cheesy smiles, the contrasty drama that was my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment